Friday, February 13, 2009

Postgraduate Aspirations V: Wisdom in Uncertainty

As I am peppered with loving questions about our post-Covenant plans, the anxiety born from the uncertainty of our plans is consistently renewed. During these times, I am reintroduced to the question of "what do I do now while we wait?"

Last week, in real despair over the uncertainty, I told Cheryl how much I longed for a "simple life." I just want(ed) to live out my life with as few complications (read: "uncertainties") as possible, a simple life. I want(ed) to be a farmer or something, but I quickly realized that their lives are far from simple (read: "worry free"); they have weather, droughts, pests and a lot else daily threatening their livelihood.

So does a simple life exist? Can it? If so, what does it look like and can my life be simple now? Thinking through this, I was (once again) brought back to the idea of biblical wisdom and Covenant faithfulness. For all the complications of my life I alone am responsible--I've spun them. "What do I do now while we wait for answers?" The same thing I would do if I were not waiting at all or if we already had answers--live faithfully under God, loving Him above all else and loving those around me. A wisdom-filled life is simple. How the Lord must both smile and cry at once viewing all our inventions of complication.

1 comment: