Sunday, April 11, 2010

Goin' Back to School

Yup, my 223 hours of higher education is still not enough for me, so I'm going back. This time around it's not for another degree, just for selected classes--Arabic. The community college down the road from us offers a set of Arabic classes (I-III) that I'll begin June 8th. I've already begun self-lead learning by working through some introductory grammars and Rosetta Stone, and I'll continue that through the classes. I had a fantastic experience at the community college where I did my A.A. and so I'm hopeful that this school (Meramec CC) will be equally good; I'm looking forward to it. I'm a little nervous about doing the intensive class (8wks, 4 credit hrs) while working 50 hrs a week, but thinking back to beginning Greek during my first summer at CTS (I worked FT at ITARP then) is encouraging--that time was a highlight of seminary. I'll just have to find the time to study around work/class like I did before, and I am just as passionate (if not more) about learning Arabic than I was about Greek. It'll be great, and it is really nice to have something to look forward to and work toward these days...easy to get lost in the mire of a confusing life situation that doesn't seem to connect to anything that preceded or may follow. So, with that being said, 'Al hamdu li'llah.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're doing this -

    I would try to join you, but who knows where we will be in June...

    Wherever we end up, I want to do the same thing you're doing. The intensive language studies in Seminary have been the highlight for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Oh, and there's a really great movie with quite a bit of Arabic dialogue in it, maybe you've seen it - it's called "Kingdom of Heaven," have you seen it? It's a really great movie....;)

    ReplyDelete