Tuesday, December 22, 2009

New Vocabulary

Working with teenage boys has been very educational for me in many ways. One thing that has been especially interesting for me is their vocabulary. I remember when I was a young teenager and I started using the expressions "cool" and "whatever." (May have been pre-teen for those.) Things change over time and I am reminded every day that it has been a while since I was a teenager.
I learned a new word last week. Well, its an old word with a new meaning. The word is "fire." I think it is starting to replace the word "tight." Both "fire" and "tight" are forms of my old "cool." I was introduced to "fire" when a young man said to me: "Ms. Cheryl, that scarf is fire! Let me have it." If I hadn't spent much time around this young man, I could've believed that my scarf was actually on fire. But, needless to say, it wasn't. He just really liked it and wanted one for himself.
Another expression that I'm sure most of you have heard by now is "hella." I think it's short for "hell-of-a" and it seems to mean "very" or "really." "Hella" is a hard one for me because I'm not sure if it is a cuss word or not. Do I get on to them when they use it or just let it go?
I don't know who decides which expressions are cool to use. I guess I show my age when I respond to kids using "cool" and "neat." I think they would be shocked if I ever used "fire." I did use "tight" one time jokingly and the girl laughed and said,"Oh, my god."

I hope everyone has a hella Merry Christmas and that all of your presents are fire! :)

4 comments:

  1. That is so funny! - and very educational, too! Thanks for bringing us old-timers up to speed so we know what's "cool" in the 21st century! I mean "fire".....or "tight"....how about "tight fire"?? Or maybe I should just stick with "groovy"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, that was AWESOME. Thanks for info - I hadn't heard of "fire". Hope you all are well...Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you are cooler than me because I'm not even at a place in life where I hear the new words. By the way...I was wanting to see pictures of the new house decorated for Christmas. Did you decorate?

    ReplyDelete